Thank you for your interested in the AgForestry Leadership Program. The application window for Class 43 is open March 16-April 30, 2020.
The Application, Essay Questions, and Self-evaluation can be completed online. The Employer Release will need to be filled out by your employer. FOUR references are required for each candidate. Please mail or email your resume and a signed Memorandum of Understanding to the AgForestry Office. All materials are kept confidential.
- Must have lived or worked in Washington for at least one year.
- Employer must approve that you can invest the required time to attend all seminars and are able to be away from communications during the seminar hours. Those who are self-employed must be able to be away from their businesses for that time.
- Remain employed in agriculture, forestry or related natural resource industry for the duration of the class.
- Embrace the Diversity, Inclusion and Equity Statement.
Agriculture, forestry and natural resources are broadly defined to include producers (farmer, forester and fisher), processor/shippers, and marketing/salespeople. It also includes professionals from education, law, finance, insurance, government and non-government agencies whose work is dedicated to serving the natural resources sector. Individuals from other fields such as the environment, media, research, labor and public relations who demonstrate strong connections to the natural resource industries are also included. An important qualification is the applicant’s current and future commitment to Washington’s agriculture, forestry, fisheries, natural resources and rural communities.
The Agriculture and Forestry Education Foundation, which oversees the AgForestry Leadership Program, strongly encourages a solid representation of production candidates, which are key decision makers for the major production issues in their farming, forestry, fishing or natural resource entity or who spend most of their time in hands-on activities.
Each Leadership Class is selected by a volunteer committee representing leaders in natural resources and approved by the Foundation’s Board of Directors. All applicants will have an in-person interview with the Selection Committee in your region. The selection process is highly competitive. Up to 24 participants are chosen for each class. Applicants are notified of the selection results in early July. Please notify the AgForestry office if you have changes in address, email address, or telephone numbers listed on your application.
Each Leadership Class is 18 months long, with no less than 58 days of required time and attendance. Your commitment to the program includes attendance at all seminars. There are 11 multi-day seminars held throughout Washington State, plus two travel seminars: one week in Washington, D.C., and two weeks in a foreign country. The cost to each class member is $6,000, although the value is significantly higher. Generous giving partners help subsidize the cost to each participant.
Each participant is expected to fulfill the following four commitments:
- To attend all resident and travel seminars
- To assume leadership responsibility
- To participate in post-graduate leadership activities
- To support the Foundation and the AgForestry Leadership Program after graduation
Please contact AgForestry staff at email@example.com if you have any questions about the program or application process.
2020 Memorandum of Understanding – You must read and understand this entire document before you start the application. If you have questions or concerns about anything contained in this MOU, call AgForestry at (509) 926-9113 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2019 General Application (An updated application will be posted in early 2020)
- Application Essay Questions-see General Application
- Self Evaluation-see General Application
- Employer Release – Not required if self employed. A release will be emailed directly to your employer.
- References – Four references are required. Reference questions are very similar to the self-evaluation questions found on the General Application.
- Send your resume and a signed copy of the Memorandum of Understanding to AgForestry at email@example.com or 2702 W Sunset Blvd, Suite B, Spokane WA 99224.